Michelle and Barack Obama gave South Korean president Lee Myung-bak and First Lady Kim Yoon-ok a warm welcome to the White House on a rainy evening last night. For the double-date night, Michelle wore a purple creation by Korean-American designer Doo-Ri Chung. The menu, a festive "Fall harvest," included squash and honey from the White House garden and Korean and American pears in the dessert. The Obamas are becoming pros at hosting official galas, as this is their fifth state dinner. Since he became president, Barack and his wife have welcomed dignitaries from Germany, China, Mexico, and India. See sweet photos from the latest now!
Last night at a state dinner welcoming South Korea, Michelle Obama stole the show with a deep-purple gown by American designer Doo.Ri. Designer Doo-Ri Chung is known for her draping, and this elegantly draped version highlights the first lady's toned arms and decolletage. We love the statement gold earrings, cuff, and turquoise beaded belt. For all the angles on the look, click the slideshow. Want a Doo.Ri dress of your own? You'll find our picks at the end of the slideshow.
Barack and Michelle Obama welcomed one of the world's most powerful women, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, to the White House tonight for a state dinner under the stars. Joined by her husband, Joachim Sauer, Merkel became the first European leader to get the American state dinner treatment since Obama came to office in 2009. Tonight, guests will enjoy the capital's late-Spring heat, dining outside in the Rose Garden. They'll also be treated to at least one German specialty: apple strudel for dessert! On the heels of last month's state visit to England, America's first couple have recently enjoyed quite a few elegant date nights. See their latest now.
- Barbra Streisand, Vera Wang, and Anna Wintour attended state dinner — Daily Beast
- More details come out about dangerous abortion doctor — Philadelphia Inquirer
- Kim Kardashian speaks out against teen motherhood — PopSugar
- Gabrielle Giffords may leave hospital tomorrow — NY Daily News
- Census finds red states have more gay couples with kids than blue states — Nerve
- MTV's Skins may break child pornography laws — New York Times
- Women no longer mesmerized by Food Network and HGTV as ratings dip — NY Post
- What did you think of the American Idol premiere? — BuzzSugar
- That was fast: Jesse James and Kat Von D are engaged — People
Michelle Obama looked as glamorous as ever in a dress by Alexander McQueen, as she and Barack welcomed China's President Hu Jintao to the White House tonight. The first lady chose to wear red, which symbolizes good luck in China, for the latest state dinner. Check out tons of photos now!
- Salahis stopped by secret service as they try to show up at state dinner — ABC News
- It's Robert Pattinson vs. Sandra Bullock in the PopSugar 100 finals — PopSugar
- Ann Curry uses baby talk with the Dalai Lama — Jezebel
- Masterpieces, including Picasso and Matisse, stolen from Paris museum — Daily Beast
- American Idol down to the finals — BuzzSugar
- Courtney Love says she had a lesbian fling with Kate Moss — Huffington Post
The first couple looked amazing as they stepped out tonight for an evening of wining and dining some of the world's VIPs. Barack and Michelle are hosting an official state dinner to honor Mexican President Felipe Calderon and his wife Margarita Zavala. Margarita, who also appears to be sans sleeves, exercised with Michelle and a handful of school kids earlier today.
The guest list for the hottest party in DC also includes Beyonce, George Lopez, Whoopi Goldberg, and Eva Longoria Parker. We can assume the Salahis, who crashed the Obamas' last state dinner, did not get an invite. But who cares? The pair already got the reality TV show they wanted. I have to admit, this would be a fun party to crash!