So you like tennis and he's more of a soccer guy? Don’t cross him off your list yet! Today YourTango experts let us know that compatibility is about more than common interests and hobbies.
According to the Business Standard, a new study by online dating site Canoodle.com claims shared interests and hobbies are crucial for finding a compatible mate, and they even recommend rooting out these common interests on a first date. I disagree whole-heartedly as a dating coach for women with 11 years of experience!
There is so much more to compatibility than if you both like skiing or prefer conservative politics. Check out these five predictors and see if you and a potential partner might be a good romantic match beyond the surface interests.
1. Bio-rhythms. If you like to sleep to 11 a.m. and your partner wakes at dawn, it can be a deal breaker. Unless one of you is willing to entertain yourself while waiting for the other to rise, it's better to have a similar bio-rhythm (in other words, your innate body clock). This helps you share the same eating and sleeping schedule.
2. Basic values. The two of you need to hold similar basic values about telling the truth, doing the right thing (whatever that may be), social conduct, and more to predict how you will get along. If you follow the letter of the law, while your partner hasn't paid taxes in seven years, for example, that's a sure sign you're not aligned on basic values.
3. Sociability. You love to be social and go out with friends. He's a quiet homebody who requires time alone. You can bridge this gap, but it is something to think about for how well you might enjoy the same way of life.
For two more essential predictors, head to YourTango: Why Dating Your Polar Opposite Could Be Good For You
Check out more great stories from YourTango
- 25 Date Night Ideas That Aren't Cheesy
- How To Know If He's "The One" and What That Even Means
- 10 Dating Tips I Wish I'd Followed While I Was Single