I'm sure you've heard that you have two sides to your brain - the left side and the right side. The left side is responsible for thinking, organizing, and remembering while the right side has to do with creativity, imagination, and feelings.
As kids, we used much more of our right side and now that we are adults, we spend a lot of time using the left side. It's necessary and healthy for our spirits to unlock our creative and imaginative side, but the busier we get, the more we really need to set aside time for this type of self-expression.
Being creative usually involves art in someway, but it doesn't have to. Here are some ways to unleash your creative spirit:
- Do something artsy like paint, draw, sculpt, sew, or knit.
- Work on a scrapbook. There are so many ways you can personalize the pages, and once it's done, you'll have a tangible representation of your feelings and your life. Taking time to honor, record, and remember old memories is powerful. Not only that, but you and others will be able to look back on it and recall all those wonderful feelings again and again.
- Write. Put your thoughts on paper in a journal, a letter to an old friend, an email, or a story.
- Read. Pick up some fictional stories that allow you to lose yourself completely.
- Do creative movement. Take up salsa dance, belly dancing, yoga, or the trapeze.
Want to see some other ideas? Then read more
- Cooking is a form of creativity. You can even make up your own unique recipes. It's also fun to think of new ways to present your dishes.
- If you used to play a musical instrument, pick it up again. If you've never played, it's never too late to start.
- Sign up for a class you've always wanted to take - (woodworking is on my list).
- Show your creativity in your appearance, with your clothes and accessories, how you do your hair, and what kind of makeup you wear.
- Sing in the shower or in the car - really LOUD! I like to take songs I know and change the words.
- Rearrange your living room or redecorate.
- Design and plant a garden or re-pot some houseplants.
- Spend time with kids - their creativity is bound to rub off on you. Play with them, dress up with them, put on a puppet show, and have fun with them.
Creativity is about expressing yourself. It's also about discovering yourself and your world, and seeing things in a new way. It's about letting go and not worrying about what others will think, so try and plan some times during your week to be creative. It's good for your soul.