Rachael Maddow is to Keith Olbermann as Stephen Colbert is to Jon Stewart. And just like Stephen, Rachel's new pseudo-Countdown spinoff is acquiring a fan base potentially more dedicated than its predecessor's. This weekend's New York Times Magazine caught up with the Stanford and Oxford grad-turned-progressive-MSNBC host, visiting her home in western Massachusetts where she lives with her partner Susan.
Some items to look forward to:
- Rachel, a TV personality, has no TV.
- Some of Rachel's favorite objects include: a squirrel sculpture, four kinds of mustard from her fridge (“I am a mustard person"), a sneaker, two ashtrays from the Watergate hotel, and her 7-year-old red Ford pickup.
- Fictional character she identifies with: "Wally Cleaver. Cause he is a dork.”
- If her show doesn't make it Rachel has a backup. "I am a hobbyist bartender. I have a a liquor cabinet. I research classic drinks from the golden age of American cocktails and I make them for me and Susan.”
- Rachel's favorite movie? The Manchurian Candidate, original version.
Are you a fan of Rachel?