Red, gold, and the wordless melody of the Spanish national anthem filled Vienna's Ernst-Happel stadium Sunday night, as Spain beat Germany 1-0 to win the European Championship and end 44 years of underachieving.
Back in Madrid, Spain, fans and patriots waved the Spanish flag, watched fireworks, and partied in the streets. Firefighters cooled off the Summer celebration by spraying the crowds with water.
Check out the photos of Spanish jubilation and German disappointment. Spain's Queen, and Germany's Chancellor make cameos!
- Captain Iker Casillas of Spain lifts the trophy after winning.
- Spanish players pose for a team photograph.
- Spain's Queen Sofia congratulates Spanish goalkeeper and captain Iker Casillas.
- Better luck next time. German Chancellor Angela Merkel shakes hands with German midfielder and captain Michael Ballack.
- Bummer in Berlin.
- Breaking the losing streak!
- The Ernst-Happel stadium in Vienna at the end of the Euro 2008 championships.
- Back home. German football fans react at the "Fanmeile" (fan zone) next to Berlin's Brandenburg Gate.
- The Spanish team holds the Euro 2008 championships trophy.
- Celebrating in Barcelona!