This month marks five years since the US invaded Iraq. The anniversary is a perfect opportunity for Americans to reflect, and thank the men and women serving our country in the armed forces for their selfless dedication. Thank you.
The current situation in Iraq has been a military, political, and humanitarian roller coaster since the US decided to take military action against Saddam Hussein's regime. I've put together a detailed look at some key events — seeing them in sequence really made the sheer scope of everything that's happened, come into focus. Take a minute to remember everything that has happened in these five years with these powerful images and the accompanying captions.
- Sec. of State Powell holds a viral of anthrax while telling the UN that Iraq is hiding WMD. Feb 5, 2003.
- Explosions during the first few minutes of a massive air attack on March 21, 2003 in Baghdad, Iraq.
- Iraqis watch a statue of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein falling in Baghdad. April 9, 2003.
- Restaurant owner changed name of French fries, to Freedom Fries to show his disgust with the French government's Iraq policy.
- May 1, 2003, Bush lands on the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.
- Bush speaks beneath a banner reading "Mission Accomplished" on the USS Abraham Lincoln, May 1, 2003.
- An Iraqi woman displays her inked fingers after voting on December 15, 2005.
- A boy rides his bicycle past US soldiers, March 6, 2008.
- Children look out from a gate in Baghdad's Doura neighborhood March 7, 2008.
- Staff Sgt. Shelby Dreier, from Fawcett, Missouri plays a game of pool at the Doura Guys Cafe while on patrol, March 7, 2008.
- US soldier searches a man during an Iraqi Police recruitment drive March 9, 2008 in Baghdad.
- A woman walks past a group of US soldiers in the war ravaged Hadar neighborhood March 10, 2008 in Baghdad.
- Saddam Hussein argues with prosecutors while testifying during his trial on April 5, 2006.
- Iraqi youths gather around the wreckage of a car at the scene of an explosion in Baghdad's Al-Shaab neighborhood on Mar 10, 2007
- A US Army Honor Guard Casket Team carry the body of US Army Cpl. during funeral services in Arlington National Cemetery.