We all know how important it is to visit your doctor and to stay healthy, but it seems like it's close to impossible to get an appointment, let alone get all your questions answered. For some helpful tips, click here to read more
- If your doctor books up easily, schedule your next appointment before you leave the office.
- If you're sick or need an emergency appointment, always let the receptionist know the situation and put yourself on a cancellation list if there is legitimately no space available.
- In order to maximize your time with your doctor, make a list before sitting in the waiting room.
- Don't get caught up in the small talk once your doctor enters the room. Get straight to the point as most visits are only twelve minutes long.
- Cut straight to the point. Hit the big issues first and make sure to ask all the questions on your check list. Don't skip out any detail, even if it's embarrassing for you to talk about it — remember doctors have seen it all.
- If you are prescribed medication, be sure you know what to expect in terms of results, side effects, and dietary limitations.
- Before your doctor leaves the room, do a recap of everything you discussed including medication, follow up appointments, alternative methods and the next steps needed. Recapping your appointment will decrease confusion and unnecessary follow up visits or phone calls.
I hope these tips help, and if you have any other ones that work for you, please share them below.