We're happy to present this excerpt from one of our favorite sites, HowAboutWe. Today, Maggie Parker spills some of the signs that your date is over before it's even begun.
We've all been there; sitting across from someone during a first date, wishing there were a way you could have known before you left your house on a rainy Sunday night that you were going to regret it.
There may not be a foolproof method for determining a date’s success in advance. But the few hours before a first date could offer some very clear red flags.
If you see one of said red flags, stop and take notice. We aren't saying you should cancel the date then and there, but if more than one flag gets waved, be sure you're paying attention. Here are the biggest signs to watch out for.
1. You ask where to meet and he says, "I don't know but I only have $(15 or less) in my bank account so somewhere cheap."
Why is he bringing up his financial problems before your first date? And come on, why does he have so little money in his bank account?! You may not care about his financial status at this moment, but a desire for financial stability is a reasonable request. Utter disregard for boundaries so early on is not.
2. He suggests you meet on a street corner, with no exact venue in mind.
A casual date is perfectly understandable, but on a first date, you are allowed to expect him to put the effort in. Call us old-fashioned, but the first date is when both parties should behave at their best. That requires doing a little research and actually coming up with a plan.
3. He knows you live far from him, but he suggests you meet him near his house/work.
If he's asking you to come to his territory so soon, take it as a sign that he isn't going to be the most considerate partner.
4. He has you pick the place, but then complains that he doesn't like that spot.
First of all, a gentleman offers to plan the date (and does it, if you take him up on his offer). Second of all, is a first date really the place to complain about the venue?
For five more signs, head to HowAboutWe: 9 Signs Your Date Is Going Downhill Before It Starts.
Check out these other great stories from HowAboutWe:
- The Dos and Don’ts of Dating a Vampire
- The Most Scandalous Sex Scenes in Scandal
- 20 Places You Think Are Great Proposal Spots (But Are Actually Terrible)