Dear E. Jean,
I need serious help. I’m bright, successful, pretty, slightly goofy, and want to make a difference in the world. I would also like to marry and have children. I’m 28, live in the big city, volunteer, and go to church. I admit I am slightly overweight (I’m 5’5” and 140 — I can never get rid of those extra 10!)) and I may laugh a little too heartily at people’s jokes; but, it’s been four years since I met a decent guy. Four years!
This is pathetic!
And please, E. Jean, don’t think I’m not meeting guys because I’m shy. I’m not in the least bit timid. I just haven’t been in the right place at the right time. So my question is simple: Where is the “right place?” I can’t find it! Where are the guys?
—Everybody Has A Boyfriend But Me
To see E. Jean's answer read more
My Buttered Muffin,
Here’s Auntie Eeee’s List of the 36 Best Places to Meet a Man:
- Golf courses
- Batting cages
- Handball courts
- Driving ranges
- Squash courts
- Gun clubs
- Hockey rinks
- Deep Sea Diving Resorts
- The US Open (golf and tennis)
- The Super Bowl (duh)
- The Final Four
- The Kentucky Derby
- The Belmont Stakes
- Title fights
- The Indy 500
- Any NASCAR race
- Sports bars
- The Street — Next time you see a handsome stranger coming toward you, look him in the eye and smile. As I always say: It may turn out to be nothing but a three-second saucy intrigue, but why should your future happiness be at the mercy of not giving into an impulse?
- Ask your friends to fix you up.
- Hire a PR agent. He/she will get you invited to the hot parties.
- The gym
- Adopt a dog from the ASPCA. Walk that dog four times a day (in the financial district — Ha!) and your chances for a romantic encounter zoom to 28 times a week.
- Gallery openings and art museums.
- Set up your easel in the park (or better, on a busy sidewalk in front of the “in” club), and inspire curiosity.
- Music and Film Festivals
- Go to different churches and try out the Friday-night Shabbat services. It is mind-broadening and good for your soul.
- Hot restaurants
- Hot bars
- Cigar bars
- Pool halls
- Car shows
- Boat shows
- Geek Meets
- The Political Campaigns.
(Are you beginning to get the picture? If you go where there are high numbers of eligible men, you can’t help but meet a nice chap!)
Really, it is all about seizing the opportunity and not allowing that handsome fellow in front of you on the coffee shop line to leave without you smiling and saying “hello.” Because, darling, it would be too sad to look back on your life and wonder why you couldn’t “meet a guy” when guys are literally EVERYWHERE!